The PSVita has seen great success in Japan and while that means that games are still being developed for it, it means language barriers for Western users. Thanks to the hacking scene and talented people who are willing to devote their time to the community, we can now play the Grisia series of games in English on our Vita/PSTV.
What’s the Grisia series?
The Grisia series is a set of romance visual novel games that have been released for Windows computers, the PSP and the PSVita. These are available in English for the PC but sadly, the PSVita versions of the game trilogy have remained in Japanese despite promises of translations being released in late 2015. It seems that the trilogy didn’t get treated for Western audiences due to legal issues and problems with getting a game on PSN. However, thanks to “MrComputerRevo” of GBATemp forums, you can now enjoy these games in English on your PSVita.
The games that are have English patches are:
- The Labyrinth of Grisaia
- The Eden of Grisaia
- Idol Magical Girl Chiru Chiru Michiru
How do I install the English patch?
To get the translations on your Vita, you need to do the following:
- It is important you set the load mode for Layrinth/Eden in Maidump to 4 which is Original Eboot mode
- Unzip the patch files of the game you’re patching from the link below.
- Place the original eboot.bin and SCRIPT.PAK into the folder resulting from the file extraction.
- Run ‘patch.bat’ on your PC
- Copy the resulting eboot.bin and SCRIPT.PAK to the folder of the game in ux0:/app. An example of the path is: “ux0:/app/PCSG000XXX/”. XXX changes to 421 for Labyrinth, 508 for Eden and 620 for Spinout.
- Enjoy your English translated game!
It is important to note that the choices in Eden aren’t yet translated nor are the translated CGs. If you have any issues report them to ‘MrComputerRevo’ on GBATemp. Credit for the content itself goes to Frontwing and Sekai Project as ‘MrComputerRevo’ only had the job of porting the translation to the PSVita version of the game. If you need more help, make sure to ask on the GBATemp thread below.
Release thread on GBATemp (+ download link): http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-grisaia-series-vita-english-ports-labyrinth-eden-spinout.475386/
Source of information about why the English version didn’t see the light of day: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/08/english-version-of-the-grisaia-trilogy-still-coming-to-ps-vita-but-its-been-difficult/